I would like to start by thanking everyone that has made this year such an amazing experience. You all have made Haven what it is today, and I couldn’t have done any of this without the support of my friends, family, and amazing students. I love how invested everyone is in seeing the gym grow
Getting Started with Martial Arts in Syracuse: Find the Right BJJ Class and Coach
Jiu Jitsu Open Mat Events Help Out Community
What a fantastic weekend for Jiu Jitsu and helping out people in our community. We had our benefit for Sam Sears who has stage 4 Hodgkin’s lymphoma on Saturday, February 26. We had an open roll and were able to raise around $1,500 Saturday. They are still taking donations, if you want to help out.
Integrating Jiu Jitsu into Law Enforcement Training
We are incredibly excited to announce a national law enforcement Jiu Jitsu training program we developed specifically for police officers.
Seminars, Seminars, and More Seminars to Prepare for BJJ Competitions
What a crazy week it was at Haven Jiu Jitsu! We finished up our competition prep and now we focus on staying healthy and waiting for the Grappling Industries tournament (in Syracuse, on December 11th). To get everyone ready to compete, we hosted a couple of seminars. Our first seminar was with Rich D’Amico, who
Haven Hosts Jiu Jitsu Seminars for Military Members and Real Estate Agents
Jiu Jitsu for Real Estate and Military Between Thanksgiving and our two seminars, we had a busy couple of weeks! We hope everyone had a wonderful holiday with their loved ones. We certainly have a lot to be thankful for! November 20th was our self defense seminar for local real estate agents. Chris Green from
Haven Hosts First Competition Class
Our first Sunday competition class was last weekend. We had over 40 members on the mats from all of our Haven schools. This is the dedication to the support I love to see. Well done, team. Some traveled over an hour, one way, to attend our team training. Remember, this course is free to all
Are you interested in learning martial arts in Syracuse? There are a variety of classes and coaches available to help you reach your goals. With so many options, it can be difficult to decide where to start. That’s why we’ve created this helpful guide for getting the most out of your experience with BJJ classes and coaches in Syracuse.
What is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ)?
Before we dive into finding the right class or coach for you, let’s take a quick minute to discuss what Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is. BJJ is a martial art that focuses on ground fighting and grappling, as opposed to striking from standing positions like Karate or Taekwondo. It was developed by Carlos Gracie Sr. based on traditional Japanese Jujutsu techniques and has become one of the most popular disciplines among grappling martial arts.
Picking the Right Class
When looking for a class, there are several factors you should consider. First, think about what kind of instructor or atmosphere best fits your needs and goals. Ask yourself how intense or beginner-friendly do you need your instruction to be? Do you want individualized attention from an instructor? Or do prefer the energy found in larger groups? Also consider if there’s any particular focus on self-defense technique or competition style training that might fit better with your desired end goal.
Finding the Right Coach
Once you’ve narrowed down which type of class is right for you, it’s time to move onto finding the right coach! Again, there are several factors that come into play when trying to decide who will be best suited for helping you reach your goals such as their credentials, teaching methods, overall personality etc… As much as possible try meeting different coaches in person before making a decision so that you can ensure they’re someone who both understands your objectives and resonates with your own style.
Benefits of Training at Haven Jiu Jitsu
Training at Haven Jiu Jitsu offers a range of benefits to help practitioners reach their goals. Here are four reasons why honing your Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu skills with Haven is the right choice.
1. Personalized Instruction: At Haven Jiu Jitsu, instructors are dedicated to helping you reach your individual goals through personalized instruction and support. Whether you’re a beginner or a more experienced student, you can expect hands-on attention from experienced coaches who are passionate about helping you become an effective martial artist.
2. Community Support: At Haven, we are committed to making a difference in the Syracuse community with Jiu Jitsu by helping improve the health, confidence and ability to solve problems of community members. You can learn more about our Haven Initiative at https://haveninitiative.com/.
3. Variety of Offerings: Haven has something for everyone! From private instruction sessions to weekly open mat nights, there’s plenty of options for those looking to refine their technique, perfect their technique in sparring or learn self-defense strategies. We also offer Yoga and kids classes!
4. Health Benefits: Last but not least, training Jiu Jitsu also provides many health benefits including improved cardiovascular fitness, strength and flexibility as well as increased coordination and mental acuity from learning complex techniques such as throws, holds and reversals.
So don’t wait any longer — start training at Haven Jiu Jitsu today! With personalized instruction, supportive peers and variety of offerings there’s no better place to reach your martial arts goals in Syracuse area than with the experienced members of our community.
Martial Arts For Kids – Why BJJ is the Best Martial Arts for Kids
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art that focuses on ground fighting and grappling, as opposed to striking from standing positions like Karate or Taekwondo. It provides a safe and friendly environment for children of all ages to learn self-defense, refine their technique and make new friends! Here are four reasons why BJJ is the best martial arts choice for kids.
1. Self-Defense: BJJ teaches your child how to effectively defend themselves in a variety of situations. The techniques focus more on leverage than strength, meaning they can easily defend against children who may be larger or stronger. This also encourages them to use their brains before resorting to violence when possible, making it an ideal option for teaching young ones that physical altercations should always be a last resort.
2. Make Friends: Not only does training at Haven Jiu Jitsu provide your child with self-defense skills, but also gives them the opportunity to make new friends from the supportive community of practitioners and coaches! From weekly open mat nights to private instruction sessions, there’s plenty of chances for socializing outside of school hours and trying out different techniques together with different partners during sparring sessions.
3. Cardio & Strength Training: BJJ classes provide many health benefits including improved cardiovascular fitness, strength and flexibility as well as increased coordination and mental acuity from learning complex techniques such as throws, holds and reversals – All while having fun!
4. Discipline & Respect: Disciplining your little ones can be difficult, but with trained instructors providing consistent guidance on proper etiquette in class it becomes much easier! The respect taught in class carries over into their lives outside of the gym resulting in better behavior overall throughout their day-to-day lives as well.
Take some time explore our website to learn more about our offerings as well as our team of experienced instructors & coaches ready help support each student on their individual journey towards becoming an effective martial artist. Give us a call at (315) 745-8274 for a free class!